Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oriental Vase

My set up.

My studio lay out.

I've begun a new painting based on my interpretation of the art of one of my favorite artist's Jeff Legg. I am trying to paint with less detail and make more of a statement with lighting. This jar has so many nooks and crannies on the surface and simplifying it is a challenge. After I set up the elements of the painting, I print a gray scale photo of the image that I tape to my easel. This helps me see values more clearly.

This is my first attempt at laying in the color and defining the elements of the design. I think the leaves are too intense and the vase needs more brightness.

After the second day of painting, I feel the table needs some warmth and the tangerines in the back need to be toned down a bit.
author image

Lynn Snyder

My journey of learning to see as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment